Ontario's (former) Districts


Bathurst District (1824-1849)

Located in Eastern Ontario, Bathurst District was established in 1824 within Eastern District and comprised of part of Carleton County, Lanark County and part of Renfrew County.

The district town was Perth (Lanark County), and many of the early settlers were from Scotland.

Bathurst District
Bathurst District
Bathurst District
Bathurst District


Brock District (1837-1849)

Located in South-Western Ontario, Brock District was established in 1837 from London District. It consisted of the county of Oxford and parts of what would later become Brant County

The majority of early settlers were from England and Ireland (mostly England). Population in 1842 was 16,271.

Brock District
Brock District


Colborne District (1841-1849)

Located in South-Eastern Ontario, Colborne District was established in 1841 from Newcastle District and comprised of part of Peterborough County. Population in 1842 was 13,706.

Colborne District
Colborne District


Dalhousie District (1838-1849)

Located in South-Eastern Ontario, Dalhousie District was established in 1838 and consisted of the county of Carleton.

In its early years the economy of this district hinged primarily on the lumber trade. As of 1842 the population numbered 19,612.

Dalhousie District


Gore District (1816-1849)

Located in South-Western Ontario, Gore District was established in 1816 from Home District and Niagara District. It was comprised of Halton County, Lincoln County, Haldimand County, most of Brant County, most of Waterloo County, part of Wellington County and Wentworth County.  The district town was Hamilton.

Gore District was considered one of the richest, best settled and highly culivated area in Canada West. The majority of settlers were English, Scottish and Irish but there were some Canadians, Americans, and a small population of Germans. In 1841 the population was 31,507.

Gore District


Huron District (1838-1849)

Located in South-Western Ontario, Huron District was established in 1838 and comprised of Huron County.

In 1827 the land was purchased by the Canada Company and the Huron Tract was created. This was unusual as most of Ontario was settled as the Crown gave away land grants. In this case the Canada Company sold the land in the Huron Tract to settlers.  Most of the early settlers were from England, Scotland and Ireland. 
Population in 1845 was 13,500.

Huron District


Johnstown District (1798-1849)

Located in Eastern Ontario, Johnstown District was established in 1798 from part of Eastern District and comprised of Leeds County and Grenville County. Over time Johnstown District also included townships that were later part of Carleton County, Lanark County, and Renfrew County.

Most early settlers were from Scotland and Ireland. The population in 1842 was 36,768.

Johnstown District