Ontario Locator Search Tips
A search for *any* of these words will NOT be effective:
- Wildcards such as ? or * won't work
- Avoid using quotations " "
- Avoid using a period (ie, St. Marys - look under St Marys)
- Unless you're searching for Ontario, including it in your search will be ineffective (all our listings are for Ontario place names!)
- Township (this will list every Township in Ontario [there are over 2600] - remove 'Township' from your request to get an effective result)
- County (same as Township)
- District (same as Township)
- The more common the word is (such as 'Ville') the more hits you will get.
- The more unusual your search, the more effective it will be.
Try ALL spelling variations you can possibly think of - For instance: Elmer could be spelled Elmer, Almer, Ilmer, Aylmer, etc. Howell could be spelled Howl, Howle, Howel, Howal, etc.
Don't Be Fooled By Handwriting
Switch Letters Around
- 'A' 'E' and 'I' can sound similar, use all three (for instance - Elmer, Almer, Ilmer; Elmar, Almar, Ilmar; Elmir, Almir, Ilmir)
- Also try interchanging the following letters: 'K' and 'C'; 'C' and 'S'; 'S', 'C' and 'X'
Type in only the first 2-3 letters of the place name you are seeking
Re / Er and Ie / Y: If looking for a place name that may end with and 're' brings up negative results, try searching with 'er'. The same with 'ie' and 'y'
Add (or remove!) a word
- Add North, South, East, or West to the front of the name (ie, "Gower" may be listed under "North Gower", "Paint Lake" may be under "East Paint Lake")
- Add "Old" or "New" to the beginning of the name (or remove "Old" or "New" from the beginning of the name)
Huron Lake or Lake Huron? In the case of Bays, Rivers or Lakes try both
One word or two? If you're seeking a place name that could be viewed as two or more words, try searching it as one word, then again as two words (or three?).
Additions, Queries & Corrections
If, after trying all the search tips above, you still can't find what you're looking for, please help out by submitting a query or addition. Thank you.
Browse (browse options)